Garmaine Staff asked 2 years ago

We just bought a house and are getting a new washer/dryer setup, but the old one is slightly confusing. There is a switched pump to pump out the laundry water. I don't know if this open pipe above the washer is a vent or if it was just the old homeowners way of initially tying into the sewer line prior to the installation of the pump. It looks like it has a P-trap, so I'm not sure if it is a vent or the initial drain attempt. This is in a basement below grade and main line, so I know the water must be ejected upwards. Does anyone have any ideas on this pipe and if I can get rid of it when rerunning the new drainage setup? I am thinking of a laundry sink with an auto pump, a check valve to prevent backflow, and a ball valve to limit flow and prevent the pump from burning out. Thanks so much for any help you can offer! enter image description here