Garmaine Staff asked 3 years ago

Say you have a junction box whose face is recessed significantly into the wall. For instance, if the face of the junction box is actually at the back of the drywall or perhaps 1/2" too deep.

Is it required to use a box extension in a case like this? Mechanically it would be possible just to use longer screws to attach the device – but would that violate code or cause some other problem?